Home » Guide to Independent Living » Legal » Your Personal Rights

Your Personal Rights

Equal Opportunity Commission

If you ever feel that you are being discriminated against, based on things such as age, gender or ethnicity there are actions you can take. This may happen in the workplace, while studying or even when applying for accommodation. If you are not comfortable talking to the person who is discriminating against you, you can make a complaint to the Equal Opportunity Commission on 9216 3900 or 1800 198 149. Or “click here”: http://www.equalopportunity.wa.gov.au/ for their website.

Freedom of Information

Freedom of information means that legally you are able to look at any information that is held about you in agency files. It does not matter why you want to see it or why the agency thinks you want to see it. The only time they may withhold information from your file is if it is directly about someone else, however the agency should include a note to explain that this has happened. Files can be obtained upon written request to the agency. For any questions, or more information, contact the Office of the Information Commissioner on (08) 9220 7888 or 1800 621 244 (Country callers). Or you can go to the website .

Changing Your Name

As people get older, some decide that they would like to legally change their name. This is definitely good news for “Anita Bath” and “Hugh Jass”! lf you would like to officially change your name (either your whole name or just first name or last name) you can do this through the Department of the Attorney General. It will cost you $150. For further information call the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry on 1300 305 021 or click here for some FAQ about changing your name.


A will is an official document that says who your belongings will go to when you die. You might find this a bit weird to think about but it can be a good idea if you’ve got a partner or friends or family member who you would particularly like your possessions to go to. Once you are 18 you are allowed to make your own Will, however it is not compulsory. If you decide you would like to make a will you need to seek legal advice and have the document signed by you and two witnesses. You are not able to make a Will if you are under 18 unless you are serving in the armed forces or if you are married. For some advice on making a Will, go to the Legal Aid website, click on ‘Wills and Probate’ and then ‘General Information’.