Home » Guide to Independent Living » Housing » Moving In Costs

Moving In Costs

It is important that you have an understanding of the costs associated with finding your own place, before you start applying for tenancies, to make sure you are able to afford the move.

You will need to take into account the following:

  • A security bond (usually the equivalent of 4 weeks rent).
  • 2 weeks rent in advance
  • Pet bond ($100.00 maximum) if pets are allowed and you have one.
  • A letting fee (this is the estate agents fee and is equivalent to 1 week’s rent. This can only be charged by a licensed real estate agent).
  • An option fee.

Some real estate agents request that an option fee is paid when lodging a lease application, which is returned if you are not successful in your application, or put towards the rent if you are offered the housing & agree to take it.
The option fee will be kept if you are accepted for the tenancy and change your mind and decide you no longer want the property


Do not apply for more than one property at a time, if you have to pay an option fee or you could lose your money

Getting Connected

Before moving into your new place, you will need to find out from your owner/agent to contact to get your power/gas connected.
These options are:

Provide them with your details and a connection date. Be aware that there will be a connection fee. If you hold a Health Care Card, you can fax through a copy to apply for a rebate.
Electricity bills are usually sent to the account holder every two months.

  • Alinta Gas Ph: on Ph: 131358 or Alinta

Provide them with your details and a connection date. Gas bills are usually sent every three months.
In some situations Alinta Gas require a copy of the written tenancy agreement prior to the gas being connected. This can be difficult if you are entering the tenancy on a verbal agreement, so they will accept a copy of the bond lodgement certificate in lieu of the tenancy agreement.

You will need to contact Kleenheat if you are on residential cylinder use i.e. using gas bottles

  • Telstra on Ph: 132200

A lot of young people feel that they don’t need a land line connected, because they use their mobiles for all of their calls.
This is a valid option, but keep in mind that you can get a phone connected for incoming calls and/or local calls. This is especially important if you are:

  • always out of credit on your mobile.
  • have a health condition (i.e. asthma, diabetes, epilepsy).
  • need to call an emergency service (i.e. police, ambulance, fire)


Saving up for the bond before you move into your rental property can seem like an impossible task. A useful budgeting exercise, is to start saving the amount of rent you intend to be paying, (when you move out), the dollars will soon add up, you will get a trial run on what it will be like for you financially, paying weekly rent and you should soon have your bond money saved up.

Saving for the bond can get a bit tricky, if your move is unplanned and you are already paying rent where you are.

For more information about the Department of Housing & Works bond assistance loan, go to the Department of Housing and Works page in the Housing section.

Utility fees

These fees will apply when connecting most of the utilities. You will need to consider the cost of the following:

  • Gas
  • Electricity
  • Water –who pays the water costs? Are they shared between you and the owner?
  • Telephone –not always a necessity if you already have a reliable mobile phone.
  • Contents Insurance-for theft or damage-if you own items that warrant this cost.
  • Removal costs-These can include the hiring of a removalist, the cost of petrol or hiring a trailer. Whichever way you do it moving house costs money and you need to plan for this expense.

Paying Rent

Many owners/agents, will provide you with their bank details, so you deposit your rent directly into their account. If you are able to arrange a direct debit from your bank account on your rent day, you won’t fall behind in rent and won’t have to find the time to visit the owner/agent if you are working or studying during business hours.

Be aware that if rent is direct debited from your account and you have no money in the bank, you will not only receive a breach notice from the owner/agent, you will also incur a fee from the bank, if your account is overdrawn

Internet banking and Centrepay is also a convenient and hassle free way to ensure your rent is paid regularly. To find out more about internet banking, contact your bank. To learn how to activate Centrepay for your rent, visit Centrelink and look up Centrepay

It is important that you are given a record of your rent payments (rent receipts). This will provide you with evidence that you have paid the rent if there is any disagreement with the owner/agent. If you are not automatically issued with a rent receipt, ALWAYS ask for one, it is your right