Home » Guide to Independent Living » Housing » Types of Accommodation

Types of Accommodation

Emergency Accommodation

Hopefully you won’t need this option, but remember, if you get really stuck for accommodation and need somewhere to stay in an emergency, you can call the Salvo Care Line on 9227 8655 to find out if there is a room available at a hostel or refuge. They will need to check if you are eligible for the accommodation based on your age and other factors.

You can also call the Crisis Care Line on 1800 199 008 or 9223 1111.

Supported Accommodation

If you feel you are almost ready for independent living but could do with a little extra support, talk to your case worker about getting on a wait list for supported accommodation.

Be prepared to fill out some paperwork and undergo an assessment to be placed on the waitlist.

You may also have to keep in regular contact with the agency to ensure you remain on the waitlist.

YES! Housing (metropolitan area)

Provides long term accommodation in Homeswest housing for 15 – 17 years. You must be eligible for Youth Allowance at the independent rate and be capable of living independently.
Contact: Office hours phone: 9325 7033

Fremantle Community Youth Service – Accommodation

Offers medium and long term supported accommodation programs.
You must be able to live independently and be eligible for an independent income.
Phone: 9432 9824, 9.00am – 4.45pm with a ‘Drop-In’ service available between 2.00pm and 4.30pm (or by scheduled appointment)

Also see the Directory of Accommodation and Support Services.

Shared Accommodation

Another option you may want to consider is moving in with someone who is looking for another person to share their house or unit.

They may be renting or buying their place and wanting a flatmate to help with their costs. Often these places are advertised in the local paper or in The West Australian, the Quokka or online on websites such as Gumtree

While you may not need to sign a legal tenancy agreement, you do need to agree with the amount of rent being asked and check other costs such as a share of the power bills.

You also need to feel that you can get on ok with the other person or people, which can be hard to judge until you are actually living with them.

See shared tenancies for more information.

Rental Accommodation

The term ‘private rental’ refers to paying rent to live in a house or flat owned by another person. When living in a private rental, you may either deal directly with the owner or the owner may have a real estate agent who manages the property.