Home » Guide to Independent Living » Housing


So, now that you have started out on the road to independence, you are going to need somewhere to park your car and lay your head.

Finding safe stable long term accommodation is going to be one of the biggest challenges you will face, on leaving care. Moving out on your own needs to be planned.

What you will need to think about is what kind of accommodation would suit you best (e.g. shared accommodation, private rental, boarding, supported accommodation etc) before you start looking for somewhere to live.

You will also need to start listing what items you will need to move out on your own, such as a fridge, bed, cutlery, pots & pans, so that you have some things of your own, or the money to buy them.

The Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA) is a one off payment to help in the initial expensive stages to setting up your own place.

If you want to rent your own place, be aware that the private rental market is very competitive in Western Australia, at the moment, and the process should be treated like a job interview (i.e. turning up on time for property viewings, presentable dress standards).

An important aspect of becoming a tenant and signing a lease is the legal stuff that goes along with the responsibilities. Not paying rent or damaging a property will affect your prospects of renting for the rest of your life.

On the other side of the fence, being aware of your rights as a tenant and sticking to the lease conditions set by your real estate/property owner will ensure that you have success in future rental applications as you build up a credible rental history.

Remember that we all need to start somewhere when we get into the rental market, your first tenancy may not be a mansion, but it needs to be affordable (& liveable) and a starting point for better homes in the future.

This section of IgntionWA will cover all the areas that you need to know about meeting your accomodation needs.

Information in the Housing page was referenced from the Roofs for Youth Manual with the permission of the Youth Affairs Council of Western Australia

  • Types of Accommodation

    Emergency Accommodation

    Hopefully you won’t need this option, but remember, if you get really stuck for accommodation and need somewhere to stay in an emergency, you can call the Salvo Care Line on 9227 8655 to find out if there is a room available at a hostel or refuge…

    more »

  • Finding a Place to Live

    Finding a private rental

    There are agencies that can support you in the very competitive market that is private rental properties and applications. …

    more »

  • Moving In Costs

    It is important that you have an understanding of the costs associated with finding your own place, before you start applying for tenancies, to make sure you are able to afford the move….

    more »

  • Applying for a Place to live

    Okay. Now you have been planning and made a decision about what kind of accommodation you would like (and can afford), you can jump on the merry-go-round of house hunting. …

    more »

  • Setting Up

    Furnished rental properties are pretty hard to come by and can be a lot pricier than unfurnished properties. If you haven’t already started gathering household items, now is a good time to start thinking about what items of furniture and every day household items you will need to move out on your own.

    more »

  • Understanding your Tenancy Rights and Responsibilities

    Once you have found a property you are interested in, the next step is to make an application to the owner/agent.

    more »

  • Department of Housing

    more »

  • Maintaining your Tenancy

    more »