Home » Guide to Independent Living » Education » University



Another option for after you leave school is going to uni. If you think you might like to study at uni it’s best to talk to a teacher or school careers counsellor to see if you’re on track for going to university.
To be considered for a place at uni you must achieve the Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) and get a high enough TER score for the course you want to study (TER is based on school assessments and your TEE marks). You also need to have passed English at school and met any prerequisites for the uni course you are studying. For example if you want to study chemistry at uni you need to have studied chemistry in year 11 and 12.

If you are over 20 you can apply to enter uni as a mature age student by sitting a Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT). This means that it doesn’t matter how you went at school. Or if you are under 20 but didn’t do TEE (or don’t think you have the marks to go straight to uni) you can apply to go to TAFE to study a IV certificate. This will then help you get in to some unis. Or you can study at uni alongside some TAFE courses. All this information is on the different uni websites below.

If you have decided you would like to study a course at uni you need to have a look at which uni offers the best course for you. Check out WA’s five uni’s websites

For more details on going to uni you can check out Going to uni or have a chat to your school career counsellor.